What causes pain in between the breasts?

Hi, Twice in the last 4 nights, I have woke up with a hurting between my breasts. I seem to instinctively want to rub that area with the heal of my hand. Sitting up, breathing deeply, burping, or getting up and walking does not help. After about 5 minutes, I quit hurting and can go right back to sleep. Any idea what may be causing this? Thank You
Tue, 12 Feb 2019
Oncologist 's  Response

Costochondritis is the most common cause of sternum pain and occurs when the cartilage between the sternum and ribs becomes inflamed and irritated. Costochondritis can sometimes occur as the result of osteoarthritis but may also happen for no apparent reason. Sharp pain on the side of the sternum area.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Esmeralda Sera, Oncologist