What causes pain in back of head?

I have been having moderate headaches for quite some time - pain mainly in the back of the head - high on the left side. Is it worth an MRI? Pain meds seem to help but the pain often radiates to other parts of the head. I do have a swelling on the left side of my neck which my physician said was not serious.
Mon, 25 May 2015

I have gone through your medical history carefully and can say as following:

You are saying to have moderate headaches, manly in the back of the head and high on the left side. Meanwhile, swelling on the left side of your neck is present. If I was your caring doctor would advise to run X-ray of neck first to evaluate the swelling.

Most probably spondyloarthrosis is suspected especially if such pain is subsided after taking pain medications, however, need further diagnostic tests to run.

For the moment, I advise to continue taking pain medications and do not apply anything locally until the real nature of the swelling in the neck is totally elucidated.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana