Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes pain during intercourse?

hiii,i'm 24 yrs,158cm and 53kg, no history of any medical problem is that i'm married since 2 months, but when it comes to sex it's very painful.....i'm not sure if my hymen is ruptured and it's very difficult for the penis to enter...i tried inserting my finger but beyond a point it's painful.....will the pain be less on insertion pf penis after an orgasm? how do we know when the vagina is fully lubricated?
Wed, 4 Sep 2019
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response

Your wife might have a rigid hymen or vaginismus. This can also be due to anxiety. Proper relaxation exercise is important. Never hurry.

There are certain things you can try:
1. Breathing exercise and yoga should be practiced. Breath in and out while penetration.
2.Counselling with a sexologist will help.First insert a lubricated finger of the wife in top vagina and continue for a week. Then repeat it with 2 lubricated fingers of wife. When she is comfortable repeat it with your husband's finger, first with 1 finger and repeat with 2 fingers. Each process should take at least 5 days gap.
3. When she is comfortable, after foreplay and apply lubricant and intercourse can be tried.. During the process, proper relaxation is required.
4. Avoid stress. Don't be in a hurry.

The lubricants would be K-Y jelly, Vagisil Intimate Moisturizer, or Replens Vaginal Mosturizer or plain vaseline jelly.

If unsuccessful get a vaginal examination with your doctor to rule out any infection or problems.

Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask any doubt.

Take care.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My g-spot during sexual penetration and masturbation seems to cause more discomfort than pleasure. It s not a sharp, itching, or burning pain. More like a bruising pain, as if the g spot is swollen. The key to me orgasming is my g-spot, so what is causing this and how can I stop it?

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is Rosy from Nigeria, am 28yr am 6ft, my problem is dat wen ever an having sex i use to feel pain in side of me and am nt a virgin. i have treated my self from effection now, am still having the pains. pls help me out, bcos my husband is realy compalining about it.

doctor1 MD

sir me nd my wife were spending our first nite as other new couples do... bt wen v got excited , nd tried to initiate sex , right then my wife jst started crying hardly nd saying that she can t bear it anymore.. so v just stopped... bt v can t remain like this... so pleaze suggest me som of ur top advice according to my problem... i hope that it will help me out...