What causes pain and swelling in the elbows?

Hi, 2 nights ago I stood up after about an hour studying and my elbow was in severe pain and swollen but without incident. it has stayed swollen and painful without sign of going away especially at night. What the heck? I thought insect bite but no broken skin, it s still swollen and painful and looks somewhat bruised and mildly red
Mon, 20 Aug 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Acute onset swelling with redness and pain ate indicative of infection around elbow joint. Local ultrasound should be done to rule out cellulitis and joint effusion. Antibiotics and limb elevation are the mainstay of infection if diagnosis is confirmed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.