What causes numbness on the balls of the feet and toes?

I am experiencing feelings of numbness on the balls of my feet and some of my toes. I don’t have any back issues. It began on one foot and now is beginning on the other foot. An orthopedic doc told me it was caused by a previous stress fracture and was only due to pressure inflaming a nerve but I question that. Can you assist?
Wed, 22 Aug 2018

Two reasons can explain your symptoms:

1. Peripheral neuropathy
2. nerve compression at lower back.

Early vitamin B12 deficiency can also result in tingling and numbness in lower limbs. Since you don't have any back issues second possibility is less likely. I would like to advise NCV studies of both lower limbs to rule out peripheral neuropathy. Serum levels of vitamin B12 should also be checked. Treatment depends on cause.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.