• question-icon

What causes numbness in the thumb?

Hello I am 18 and i have a pretty intense exercise schedule, today it was a normal day and i went to do squats, i started with a fairly normal amount for me then increased to a larger but still do-able amount then i did quite a bit . I finally finished with a burnout set i did one set of 25 and then felt a slight numbness in my thumb, i thought this was just a pinched nerve, then i increases and did another burnout set, after this set my left thumb was REALLY numb and my right was a little bit numb i felt a little bit dizzy and sat down. After a minute of sitting down my arm went numb about 3/4 up my forearm i almost felt on the edge of "letting myself go" and concentrated pretty hard and took deep breathes. I felt my heart pound in my chest and then slowly i came out of it is 4:53 and this happened at 2 about 2:40 and my thumb is still numb, any advice?
Wed, 1 Feb 2017
Hello. The forceful and tight grip on the squat rod may cause compression of the nerves which provide sensation to the hand. Also, does this occur only during squatting or any other kind of weight lifting is not mentioned. But I would advice you to exercise your thighs using machines rather than using squatting rod.