What causes numbness in the left thigh?

Previous constant numbness outside left thigh above knee. Recent Flu for three weeks. Once Flu symptoms gone. The area of left thigh numbness has expanded to 1/3 of outside thigh with several severe attacks of what feels like burning pins and needles in that numb area. Hurts like hell. No prior or current diabetes. I was treated with z-pak for the flu.
Sat, 14 Jul 2018
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You may be suffering from meralgia parasyetica due to compression of long cutaneous nerve of thigh. Need to avoid tight pants and belts. Do regular exercise for weight reduction. Use tablet pregabalin 75 mg once or twice a day for 10 days. If symptoms not improved please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.