What causes numbness and weakness in the arm?

My left arm began to feel numb and is very weak. It has lasted now for about 2 hours. I previously had surgery on this same arm for a nerve that had somehow gotten out of track. Could this be the same thing? No other symptoms just the arm feeling a bit useless and numb. Not continual but never going completely away.
Tue, 9 Aug 2016
Peripheral nerve damage causes numbness and weakness in arm. There are many causes of peripheral nerve damage such as surgery as in your case, diabetes, chronic kidney disease (CKD), leprosy, vertebral compression, vasculitis, shingles and hypothyroidism etc. There is a role of methylcobalamine in treatment of peripheral nerve damage.
Advice
1.     Give your arm proper rest
2.     Methylcobalamin 500 mcg once daily per oral for 3 months
3.     Consult a physiotherapist for arm exercises
Thanks