What causes nipple soreness?

Hi just recently i noticed my left nipple fully erect more than usual and a bit sore. This has been going on for a week. I m 47 years old and this is the first time in my adult life this has happened. I havent had my menstrual cycle since mid Feb. 2014 but i still feel like i get phantom symtoms during the time i wouldve received it. This week would be the time my period visits me. My nipple seems like its a lil darker than my right. Should i be concerned that its more than hormones in my body and possibly change of life?
Tue, 29 Jan 2019

It is quite common and is due to cyclical hormonal changes. Nothing much to worry and no definite treatment is required either.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician