• question-icon

What causes nasal congestion and sore throat?

I had a sore throat this morning and severe nasal congestion ( I did use afrin nasal spray last night) when i cleared my throat orange phlem came out with some light pink color as well, it was bout two or three nickel size specs: I dont have much energy, no appetite really, just feel bit lousy. How can i determine weather this is viral or bacterial and what type of medication can ease my symptoms
Fri, 19 Feb 2016
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you have symptoms of nasal congestion and sore throat is because of viral infection/ upper respiratory infection. It is due to poor immunity of body as well. Need not to worry. I would suggest you to do warm saline gargles three times daily. Taking decongestant nasal spray can also be relieving. Drink luke warm water on daily basis. If you feel pain and discomfort in body or throat taking painkillers like Ibuprofen Or Paracetamol can be relieving. You should take hot milk boiled with half a teaspoon of turmeric. I would suggest you to consult ENT specialist once and get it examined. Doctor may order blood tests and x-ray chest. Doctor may order pulmonary function tests to detect level of infection.

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Get Well Soon.

Best wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari