• question-icon

What causes muscle twitching in back and legs along with headache?

I am a 24 yr old female with no health issues other than tense muscles in my back and neck which often cause tension headaches. I have had a few migraines in the past several years, but nothing serious. I have been experiencing strange muscles twitches over the last few days. It started with light twitching in my arms, but has mostly been in my back down the muscles along either side of my spine. In the last day, the twitching has moved to my buttocks and the back of my upper legs. Although the back of my thighs feels strange, I really don t feel any weakness or anything. It almost feels like how your muscles feel after working out. I ve never had any twitching like this before, so I just wanted to get some input on if this sounds like something I should worry about. I also have a first cousin with MS, who s father (my dad s brother) died from leukemia. That is the only significant family history. Thanks in advance!
Mon, 8 Jul 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

Your muscle twitching is more likely than not part of a syndrome referred to as BENIGN FASCICULATIONS (BSF) which mainly comes about in young people such as yourself secondarily to stress and anxiety.

Of course, it is always proper protocol to do a metabolic workup making sure that there are no signs out of line parameters such as a high or low thyroid profile, excessively low or high electrolyte balance or deficiencies in calcium, B12, or Vitamin D.

However, I'd expect these tests to all be normal so ultimately, I believe your twitches are going to be most related to BFS which is self-limiting (lasting several weeks to several months).

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Dariush Saghafi, Neurologist