• question-icon

What causes migraine with hypoxia?

My wife has been having migraines since before Thanksgiving due to an incident in a hospital that left her with hypoxia to the brain. These migraines have been constant (never ending) and to this day she still has one. She s taken multiple OTC medicines and also taken prescribed medicines from her neurologist such as topimax and a few others. She s been to the ER for migraine cocktails (which only lessen the pain, not elimate it). She s had head CT s and MRI s, EEG, EKG and all are normal yet these migraines do not go away. They are starting to effect her vision. Help please!
Thu, 12 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

First of all, the brain hypoxia can cause a permanent damage to the brain. Other systemic diseases such as hypertension, high lipid in the blood, taking oral contraceptive pills or a hormonal replacement therapy can deteriorate the case. Second, the prolonged use of topimax can increase the intra-ocular pressure and affect the vision. So, you need to ask a gynecologist for help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Mustafa, Neurologist