What causes low WBC and platelet count?

Hi, I am 38 yrs old male, since last year in every blood count report my WBC count is found lower than the normal limit. It is in the range of 2500 to 3500. Last year in Jan 2010 I had severe viral fever for which I was hospitalized for 3 days and since than my WBC counts are found low. Although I am healthy at present not suffereing from any disease and not on any medication. In recent health check up my blood report is as under.
WBC - 2610, Platlet counts - 135, Hemoglobin - 15.5 g/dl, RBC - 4.93. What could be the reason for persistent low WBC count and low platlet and what should I do further. Is this a matter of concern? Pl. advise.
Fri, 22 Aug 2014
Hematologist 's  Response
Hi, dear. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. There are many causes for low wbc count and platelet count. Most common is viral infection, which you had. But generally its not persistent. your platelets count is almost normal at present but wbc count is low . However many person have such count with no any disease. so as long as your health is ok and no symptoms no need to worry. Just repeated cbc should be done. If count will go down further then consult haematologist and investigate further. at present just monitoring is required.
Hope i have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. wish you a very good health.