What causes jaw pain?

Iv been having pain in my jaw. On the right side. Hurts to open my mouth too far as well as move jaw to the right. I also can’t line up my teeth in the same way as I could before. Having headaches for a week and now my ears are plugged. Feels like when you get water in your ears. Can not hear as well and slightly painful.
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms appears to be due to jaw joint related problem also known as TMJ/TMD.
It can cause difficulty in opening mouth too wide and can also cause pain in chewing.
As the jaw joint is present in close proximity to ear, therefore jaw joint related problem can also cause earache, but clogged feeling and difficulty to hear well can be due to blocked Eustachian tube.
So my suggestion is to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a Panoramic x ray can be done for confirmation of the diagnosis.
Also get an Otoscopy of the ear done.
For now take muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxasone and take soft meals.
Use decongestant nasal sprays like Otrivin.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Honey Arora