What causes itching on the body while suffering from celiac disease?

My husband has been diagnosed with celiac decease last December and has been on a strict diet ever since. He has also suffered from itchy skin for quite some years. It is affecting mostly the lower legs and scalp. It does not show as a rash but seems to have little bumps under the skin. He is using moisturizing creams on the legs and betaderm on the scalp. That helps a little, but lately it is getting so bad, that it will wake him up at night. Could this be related to celiac decease? Is there maybe some vitamins or minerals that he is missing?
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

For some people, celiac disease causes an itchy, blistering rash known as dermatitis herpetiformis.
The rash usually clears with a gluten-free diet but can also be treated with medication.
You can also use antihistamines daily to relief the itching and use calmine lotion for local relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.