• question-icon

What causes itching and swelling on the eyelid?

yesterday I experienced itching red and a little swollen patch on my eyelid, it has continued and is spreading underneath and around my eye, very itchy to the point it feels like its burning its also very dry an scaly. and the pastb few hours it has started on the other eyelid. PLEASE HELP MY ITCHINESS
Thu, 20 Sep 2018

I feel the most likely cause of your itching is an allergy. Perhaps you were exposed to pollen, dust, or cat fur. Or your hands came in contact with something that you are allergic to and then you rubbed your eyes.

For relief from itching moisten two washcloths(one for each eye)with cool water, ring out the cloths and roll them into a ball. Place one washcloth over each eye and hold in place for 5 minutes. This can be repeated as often as you need for comfort.

If this is effective, then look for over-the-counter eye drops that contain an antihistamine (the anti-allergy and anti-itch ingredient) and use them as the label instructions indicate. A proper dose of this medication should give you several hours of relief.

If, despite these drops, the swelling, redness, or itching do not improve in a day or two, see your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Arnold Zedd, Pediatrician