What causes itchiness and dryness in the scalp despite having psoriasis?

My daughter is 12 .She has scalp psoriasis.It is very itchy and dry.Can it be cured?Is there any home remedies.As a parent difficult to see her condition .Can it go ?Please suggest.Really worried.Whenever applying steroid foam it s going and coming again with a bigger area.I don t want to use steroid for long time.Please suggest .
Fri, 7 Dec 2018

Psoriasis is over active defense mechanism of the body (The T cells production) that supersedes perishing/shedding off of the older cells on external skin thus allowing overgrowth on the skin surface making it irritated, itchy & inflamed.

This growth is triggered by many things (given below) which are to be presented on a personal level to avoid triggering of the disease symptoms.

Triggering factors are-
- Streptococcal throat infection,
- Avoid exposure to the infection/infected persons (by using a mask in crowded places/meeting a throat infected person), try to enhance resistance by a healthy diet with vitamins, minerals & proteins. Exposure to moderate sunlight daily.
- Avoid exposure to cold.
- Avoid allergic rash (recognize allergens and avoid them).
- Keep the skin clean & well moisturized.
- Give emotional support to the child. A positive approach of father & mother is imparted to child & it helps in psoriasis management. Take help of a psychological therapist as per need.

* Remember apart from moisturizers/creams with vitamin D & prescribed steroids used as per need /shampoos with coal tar & salicylates.

Avoiding triggers takes a major part in psoriasis management. The disease is known to vanish over the time so give patience & go on managing & avoiding it till it vanishes.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale,