What causes high cholesterol?

What causes high cholesterol?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
's  Response
Combination of diet (the foods you eat-especially animal products) and heredity/genetics.

I am in my 20 s, slightly underweight. I eat a balanced diet (high in fish and veggies, low in red meats), but have very high cholesterol. I don t know if there is history of heart disease in my family and have no way to find out. Anyone have experience with this or know what could cause this? Everything has checked out okay at the doc, except the high chol. count. I have always been on this same diet, only with even less meat when I was younger. (mother was vegetarian). Thank you for all of your insight! : )

last week i had a Doc appointment and today i got a phone call and the doc told me i had High Cholesterol! What can Happen to? What causes it? What can i do to lower it? Tell me the facts! Im scared really bad right now =(

I just got a call from my dr that my cholesterol level is 245. This is the first time I ve ever been diagnosed as having high cholestrol. I am 27 years old, don t smoke, in the normal range of weight for my height, exercise 5 days a week for 60 minutes. What else could be causing this?

Recent questions on  Cholesterol

1.      Am a 39 yr man who was diagnosed with DVT (left lower limb) following a 10 hr flight in Dec 09. Subsequently, hyper eosinophilia (45-48%) detected in end Dec 09. For DVT, I was on Claxin and thereafter on Warfarin/Sofarin (7.5 mg OD). DVT was detected in ATV, PTV, SFV and Popletial. As on Nov 10 CDFI report, DVT has largely recannalised. 2.     For hyper eosinophilia, I was given a month’s course of Prednisolone. With that course the eosinophil count was down to 5%. However, on stopping it, it went back to 46%. I was also given a course of Veenat (100mg OD x 30 days, Imatimb( or is it Hematin), to rule out F1P1L1 PDGFRA- β (since test is not available). There was no response. As long as am on steroid eosinophil counts are at 5-10 %. On stopping Prednisolone, it goes back to 45-50 %. Course of Hetrazan also given prior Prednisolone-no response. 3.     Jan –Mar 11.     Am presently on low dose steroid (Prednisolone 10 mg OD) and 1000 mg OD Hydroxy urea. Continue to be asymptomatic. 4.      Till now sickle cell, cryoglobulin, Hb electrophorosis, CD 55, 59, F1P1L1 PDGFRA -α tests done. All tests negative. BCR/ABL Assy is 0%. D dimer level 1.39. Homocystine level in Jun 10 was 18.6. Protein S levels -9%, Protein C- 120%, AT III- 59%. Protein S and ATIII are low- am told that these low levels are cause for DVT. In Feb 10 cholesterol 280, triglycerides 140, HDL 49, LDL 207 VADL cholesterol 26. After a short (2 week) on Atorvastatin 20 mg HS. These levels were WNL. In Nov 10 cholesterol 250, triglycerides 140, HDL 42, LDL 139 VADL cholesterol 28. All WNL. PFT, echo, USG abdomen and X ray chest – normal. Presently on Prednisolone 10mg od and warfarin 5 mg od for dvt and 1000 mg hydroxy urea. 5.     In Mar 10, Bone marrow aspriration showed erythryopoesis is normablastic, mycloid series shows increase in eosinophils and eosinophil myclocytes around 10% of ANC. Megakaryocytes adequately represented. Opinion is prominence of eosinophils, no increase in blasts. BM biopsy also indicates eosinophilia. Endoscopy biopsy not done due being on Warfarin.

After using the machine I wake up in the morning with sneezing and watery eyes I feel as if I have a cold. This feeling last all day. I have been using the machine for about a week. I have skipped a day here or there and those days I have felt fine. I am 48 years old and weigh 240lbs. I was diagnosed with sever sleep apnea. I have high cholesterol and triglycerides.

I am a Latino woman age 59. pernicous anemia dx about 20 years ago. used to do shots now I do sublingual 2000 mcg. My level is 1500. high total cholesterol. but HDL are high so MD does not worry. daily alcohol consumption (1) drink. MCV always high. albumin a tad low. chronic asthma..lots of maintenance meds. Mom died of CLL at age 59. I have no other symptoms. BMI 26.

yes, Dr i am suffering from my ankle heel pain n my big toe problem looking for right treatments, also check my blood i got high cholesterol, its very pain my leg n hand, what should i do..and i have still cholesterol medicine just like to know i can take that medicine or not. any suggest,

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific diet to control the problem areas and medications if any?

My Mother has gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.