What causes high blood pressure and headache?

Just woke up feeling funny...headache, checked my blood pressure, it is 153/108. I'm almost positive I'm having a panic attack, but am really worried about the numbers...do I need to go to a Dr. about the BP...it's been high like this for a few weeks
Wed, 2 Nov 2016
Neurologist 's  Response
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Those blood pressure values are indeed high. Furthermore since you say they have been like that for a few weeks it should be taken seriously as it doesn't seem to be an isolated event which might be triggered by issues such as stress and anxiety or taking stimulants.
So you do need to go to a doctor, first in order to search for a possible correctable cause like for example kidney artery stenosis, and even if no cause is found (most common scenario) to initiate treatment for the high blood pressure as persistently high blood pressure can cause damage over the years.

I hope to have been of help.