What causes hair loss along with fatigue and weight gain?

I am a 64 year old female. I have had type 2 diabetes for 25 years and have it controlled by diet and exersice. Recently, I have experienced hair loss, lethargy, a slight weight gain, and my excema has returned. I believe I have a zinc deficiency and would like to take a OTC supplement. If this doesn t work I promise to consult with my primary care physician ...but want to see if I can handle this on my own first.
Wed, 16 May 2018
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It sounds like you may have developed a low thyroid condition. You can try treating it on your own but if it is a thyroid hormone deficiency, it will only get worse until you are treated. Please read about hypothyroidism here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/symptoms-causes/syc-20350284.

I urge you to see a doctor and get tested as soon as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.