Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes hair loss along with fatigue and weight gain?

I am a 64 year old female. I have had type 2 diabetes for 25 years and have it controlled by diet and exersice. Recently, I have experienced hair loss, lethargy, a slight weight gain, and my excema has returned. I believe I have a zinc deficiency and would like to take a OTC supplement. If this doesn t work I promise to consult with my primary care physician ...but want to see if I can handle this on my own first.
Wed, 16 May 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It sounds like you may have developed a low thyroid condition. You can try treating it on your own but if it is a thyroid hormone deficiency, it will only get worse until you are treated. Please read about hypothyroidism here:

I urge you to see a doctor and get tested as soon as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

In the last year I have experienced extreme hair thinning (falling out, not breaking) gradual weight gain, tire more easily, Rosacea and my nails have got white streaks through them and break easily. I have always had thick hair and strong nails. I am a 68 yr. old female. Walk 4 miles in 1 hr. 5x week. 5 4 120 lbs. and 135 in a year time. Had a MAC infection 4 yrs ago and was on heavy doses of antibiotics for 1 yr. What is off. my DR. has ruled out thyroid and hormone imbalance. Prescribed meds are Simvastatin for cholesterol and Diltiazem for rapid/irregular heart.

doctor1 MD

I am a 56 (almost 57) year old female and have observed that my hair is thinning. I no longer can see my eye brows and my lashes are thinning. I am also having difficulty with weight gain and fatigue. I am on several medications for fibromyalgia, hypothyroid and asthma. I just had my thyroid levels and vitamin D tested and they are in the normal range.

doctor1 MD

Hi I am experiencing, hair loss, fatigue, weight gain, and some other syptoms that is related to thyroids. I have seen several doctors. and no one has dianose it as thyroids. I am now looking for a doctor to help me with these issue. Can you recommend some one. and could this be my thyroids