What causes grey colored phlegm and bad taste in the mouth?

Not sure if I have whooping cough or smokers cough the only thing that s different when I read is when lay down it gets worse and because I have incontance when I cough I Peron my self no matter how many times I release my bladder before I lay down.... My question can you tell me which one I have I also get mucus like a gray color or off white coming up and bad taste and yes I do smoke... Had this before and it went against sure how I got rid of it can t remember wish I could wakes me up everynight ... No pain
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Since you are active smoker, we should definitely rule out lung diseases like lung infection and bronchitis for your symptoms. So consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system, chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test). Chest x ray is needed to rule out lung infection. PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis. You will need antibiotic, inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone) based on the diagnosis. And please quit smoking as soon as possible because it is not good habit.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.