• question-icon

What causes ganglion cyst?

I had a MRI done on my right wrist and the findings was I have a small ganglion cyst measuring 4x7x5 mm near the radial styloid and a mild degenerative cyst formation in the lunate, the MRI was after I had surgery,what causes the cyst and could there be more forming?
Tue, 21 Feb 2017
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
GANGLION CYSTS are a common finding and can be find routinely on MRI scans. Usually this cyst are not harmful and can regress or remain stable in size over years. Sometimes, they increase in size too but usually are non symptomatic. IF the cyst causes you pain or its pressure causing weakness, then it may either be aspirated or can be excised depending upon the symptoms and size of the cyst.