What causes fluctuating platelet count?

Hi, my friend and i are currentlt travelling the world. She has ITP. She had a splenectomy a few years ago but her spleen actually grew back! She had a relapse and her platelet count dropped to 9k last year. A month or so ago she got salmonella and they dropped again to 40k. She recovered and they went up over 150k. Recently she had another drop and they went down to 53k, then a week later 29k. She just had another blood test (these were all in the last 3 weeks, one a week) and it is 530k. No-one could explain how it could of risen so much with no medication? She has been eating slightly better the last week or so and been doing gentle exercise but could this affect it? everyone is baffled. We are in New Zealand and she wants to do a skydive. Is this recommended because we are worried that they could reduce quickly like they have risen?she had 2 blood tests to make sure the 530 was correct nd it went to 505 after 1 hour which is normal they say?and shows they are correct? what could the reason be and then maybe she can do something to try and keep them up??can she??she has also had mild nose bleeds while the count is high and this is normall sign of low count??
Mon, 27 Oct 2014
Diabetologist 's  Response
Thanks for asking.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.
1. Bone marrow biopsy will confirm the increased platelet count.
2. Yes, such recovery is rare and indicates good marrow capability.
3. Nose bleeds could be due to dry mucosa of nose or nose picking. Bleeding is usually not seen with normal platelet count.
4. During periods of sepsis platelet counts are known to fall. However, they do not fall on their own. Previously it was autoimmune disease or sepsis. Now, not to worry, she can sky dive.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.