What causes flea bite like bumps with rash and bruises on the leg?

I recently had fleas in my house and got an exterminator to spray the place. I dont have any pets. I havent seen a flea in weeks. My housemate has not had any problems and none of the visitors do either, but for some reason I still continue to get fresh bites? They are only on one leg, and they look like flea bites but couldi t also be a rash or allergic reaction? I ve noticed I get random bruises on my legs as well and I now also have a sore throat.
Wed, 16 Jun 2021
Dentist 's  Response
Hi.

If you have fleas in the house then it is a possibility that other members sharing the same space will also get bites over the skin provided they are sharing the same bed and room. In case if you are sure that your house is free of the fleas then the rashes that you are getting over the skin but not others can be most probably due to an Allergic reaction. When you get an allergic reaction, then the body releases some chemical substances in reaction to the allergen and it also causes rashes, urticaria etc and it appears as signs and symptoms of allergy.

Allergy can occur with certain food and medications and when you consume those foods or medicines the allergy symptoms can erupt or flare up if already present. It can also be due to some chemicals present in cosmetics, soaps, detergents and also some grasses, animal danders, metallic substances etc.

So if the symptoms are recurring, you need to be checked. You should either consult an Allergist or a Skin Specialist and get a clinical examination and an allergy test done so that the exact cause can be ruled out. For now you can take anti allergy test medicine like Allegra, Levocetirizine etc. You can also apply Hydrocortisone ointment over the rash but do not exceed for more than 7 days as steroid ointments can have side effects. Do ice packs over the rashes. Apply Coconut oil to soothe the skin.

You should also keep a check that eating any specific food or medicine exaggerate the symptoms and if you try eliminating the same then if the symptoms improve or not then it can also be helpful in eliminating the cause. In case if medications does not work or continue to recur than the doctor can think about Immunotherapy but first the cause has to be ruled out.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist