What causes feeling of worm movement in scrotum?

I have been feeling some worm like movements in my scrotum for the past 24 years. As a young man, I used to masturbate a lot and it was after one such session that I started feeling disorders in my scrotum till it developed to these movements. When the movements are on I actually see the scrotum sack move as well and if I put my finger under the scrotum I actually feel the movements like one is hold some worms in his hand which are sort of ?struggling to escape?, that kind of feeling. Over the years I have been consulting General Practitioners who would tell me that my condition was normal and there was really nothing to worry about. However some would prescribe me amitriptyline for a couple of months, but this never really helped by situation. Now over the years I have developed a very bad odour coming from my genitals which I suspect could be linked to this problem. I have often thought perhaps the scrotum skin is so ?worn out? (though it does not look so) that it now stinks. Now I worry more about the odour than the movements as they are not painful as such. The odour makes it quite difficult for me to freely mix with people and this is worse in my professional circles. Just last year I went to consult a urological surgeon who advised me that I had varicoselectomy that is why I feel the wormlike movements. He said to correct that I needed to undergo a minor operation which I did, but to no avail. I have also consulted a dermatologist about the odour, but so far the prescriptions I got from him have not really helped my situation either. I need your assistance please!

Mon, 9 Dec 2019

It may be due to varicocoele.

For further assessment you may require ultrasound scrotum after surgeon consultation.

You may require antibiotics after consultation.

Further treatment mainly depends upon the underlying condition.

Use scrotum support.

Avoid heavy weight lifting

Hope I have answered your query and let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shyam Kale
Family and general physician