What causes extended stomach and runny bowel movement in a baby?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...My daughter gave birth to a 6lb 4oz baby girl 12 days ago. I noticed the baby has an extended stomach and runny bowl movements. Is this a major problem and should she go to the Doctor?
Mon, 4 Nov 2019
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response

What your kid is having is not a diarrhea and is only a gastro-colic reflux. It is quite common for babies of this age group to pass a small amount of diarrhea or loose stools soon after feeds.

This need not be treated as diarrhea and especially antibiotics are not indicated.

When the baby takes milk, the stomach expands - then when it is contracting it sets off a waveform which moves down the intestines and when that wave reaches the lower down rectum, a small quantity of the stool is evacuated out. This is the basis for gastro-colic reflex. Do not worry.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting. You need not worry.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology