What causes excessive burping?

Little bckgrd: I am a 65-yr old Black woman in basically good health----Height=5'5", weight=143lbs, avid exerciser(3-4x /wk). Daily Meds: mild BP (Hydroclorot 12.5mg), statin (Simvastin 20mg), 81mg aspirin as well as OTC: VitD, Fish oil, calcium (600mg) My Question: I awoke this morning to "periodic burping" (i.e., first hourly, then every couple of hours over 6-8 hr period). NO OTHER symptoms----no pain or discomfort, nausea, etc. Full disclosure: last food intake (sweet potato pie) w/last night aprox. 8:30pm. I don't normally eat this late. Also, I took 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (to balance glycemiciaffect) before the pie. What could have caused the burping? Thank you.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Noted the medical problems, the medications that you are taking and the foods that you took. The major cause of burping is excessive gas in stomach that comes up the esophagus.
The common cause is anxiety and stress that cause aerophagia. Some aerated drinks too can cause burping. Hence, it is you who has to find the causative factors and avoid these to stop the belching and not to have these again.
If the cause is avoided then no treatment is needed practically. If the problem persists consult your Doctors to have ultrasonography, upper GI endoscopy and symptomatic treatment with a PPI like Omeprazole, Domperidone and as needed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.