What causes enlarged tonsils and strep throat after having oral sex?

I had oral sex back in January. Two days later I was diagnosed and treated for strep throat. I ve been treated Hiv and other stds and the test ask came back negative.It is now the last day of April and my tonsils are still enlarged.They do not hurt, and large tonsils are not normal for me. I did get a second opinion. My doctor thinks because of my weight, I may have sleep apnea. Could this really cause my tonsils to be enlarged for so long since my strep throat?
Wed, 15 Sep 2021

You are presently suffering from enlarged tonsils, they do not hurt but you have discomfort due to it. You have a history of having strep throat and had been treated for it. Other medical conditions that can cause swelling in the throat are peritonsillar abscess, mononucleosis, strep throat, swollen lymph nodes, suppurative thyroiditis, lymphoma, etc. Since you have symptoms, avoid oral sex and any type of sexual activity for a couple of days. Gargle with warm salt water 2-3 times a day. Take plenty of water and fluids, stay well hydrated. Take rest, avoid dehydration.

Talk less and stay away from addictions if any. Take liquid or semi solid food so that you do not hurt your throat. Take analgesics, one stat when needed to reduce inflammation, swelling and discomfort. Get repeat STD tests done to stay on the safer side. You many need antibiotics / antivirals so you are suggested to get clinically examined by an ENT, at the earliest. You will be given conservative treatment and if symptoms persist your treating doctor may recommend surgery.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K., General & Family Physician