What causes elevated calcium levels?

I have been diagnosed with high calcium levels which my doctor feels is caused by hypoparathyroidism. I have no side affects at this time. After reading several articles on the internet, I am confused about treatment. Some say surgery is only cure, others are being treated with calcium and D3. My pth was 94 and calium is 10.9 I need more information on this condition to clarify what is happening to me.
Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Endocrinologist 's  Response
The result you described suggest for high calcium level and high parathormone level. In these cases the treatment with calcium and Vit D is contraindicated.
The aim is to lower the calcium level and not to raise it.
The next step that helps to make a diagnosis is the Sistami bi scintiscan of the parathyroid glands. If any enlarged gland is seen than there are some criteria (when high calcium level has caused repeated renal stones, osteoporosis, renal insufficiency ect.) when it should be surgically removed.
You may discuss with your physician for the alternatives of treatment having into consideration your whole clinical symptoms and examinations results.
Hope i have been somewhat helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta