What causes elevated calcium levels in the blood?

I ve been told my calcium is high & that my Para thyroid is overactive. I understand that the para thyroid are glands (?) on the four corners of the thyroid. I will make an appt with an endocrinologist (my internist felt I should since I am only (!) 59 yo. Would like to understand more b4 I see him...
Wed, 21 Feb 2018
Hi & Welcome.
I can understand your concern for the elevated blood calcium levels.

It appears to be due to hyperparathyroidism.

The parathyroid glands produce parathyroid hormone, which helps maintain an appropriate balance of calcium in the bloodstream and in tissues that depend on calcium for proper functioning. These glands are about the size of a grain of rice and are located in your neck.

Hyperparathyroidism is an excess of parathyroid hormone in the bloodstream due to overactivity of one or more of the four parathyroid glands. Excess of this hormone results in high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia) which can cause a variety of health problems.

The range of signs and symptoms include:

•Fragile bones that easily fracture (osteoporosis)
•Kidney stones
•Excessive urination
•Abdominal pain
•Tiring easily or weakness
•Depression or forgetfulness
•Bone and joint pain

Consult an endocrinologist for proper clinical assessment and relevant lab tests to arrive to a diagnosis.

Hope the advice given above would be useful.
Best regards.