What causes elevated BP and pulse rate?

My son had a physical and had a blood pressure of 148/80, pulse rate of 101 and hemoglobin was 17. They have ordered a chest x-ray, additional blood work, sending him to a blood specialist and a cardiologist. From what we have been able to find online, his hemoglobin falls in the normal range for a man. Is there any reason for concern with his numbers and should he proceed with all of the testing and specialists?
Fri, 27 Jul 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Yes, he should definitely consult cardiologist and hematologist.
His blood pressure and pulse rate are high.
So cardiac evaluation is needed.
Hemoglobin up to 16 is normal.
But above 16 is known as polycythemia.
This can be physiological (normal) or pathological (abnormal). So hematologist consultation is needed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.