What causes edema in the lower legs?

I have been experiencing 4+ edema in my lower legs with heaviness and achy type pain. Only co-morbidity is a history of thyroid CA that was depleted by I-131 in 2005. I currently take Armor thyroid, celexa, nexium, vitamin D. I am a pack a day smoker since age 18. I endulge in a cocktail most evenings. My BP has always been on the low side of normal (90 to 120 over 50 to 80). I am not diabetic. My famlial cholesterol is borderline. Family history of CVA, HTN, DM, high cholesterol, MI, and my father passed from lung/heart issues. My mother also has early stage alzheimers. Why I am I having this edema???
Fri, 17 Aug 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Possible causes may be hypothyroidism with Myxedema or hepatitis and liver cell failure or COPD with cor pulmonale or renal failure etc.
Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. you have to get it done blood urea,serum Creatinine and electrolytes. Liver function tests,thyroid profile and ECG then consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.