What causes dry mouth while suffering from hyperthyroidism?

My mom, 81 yrs old, has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Her thyroid is fine and she has no tumors. She now has a very dry mouth -doesn't appear to be producing saliva. My mom was very healthy and strong before this. Is the mouth thing related and what would be causing all of this?
Thu, 31 May 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your complain yes, dry mouth can be a symptom of Hyperthyroidism even when it is being treated, however it can be due to a number of other common causes like:

-Severe dehydration,
-Side effects of medications if you take any.
-Salivary gland dysfunction.
-Nerve damage supplying salivary glands.
-Oral infections like thrush.
-Sjogren's Syndrome, etc.
-For dry mouth chew sugar-free chewing gums.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Avoid regular mouthwash and use specialized mouthwash that are formulated for dry mouth patients like Biotene.
-You can also instil artificial saliva drops.
-Suck tart candies as it also stimulates saliva flow.

If does not improve consult her Physician and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.