• question-icon

What causes dizziness?

I had a stint put in a year ago and have been doing fine, lost 40 lbs , changed diet etc but in the last 3 weeks I am having dizzy spells, I only take aspirin and plavix and play competitive tennis 3 times a week any ideas if the stint may be getting blocked etc???thanks steve
Mon, 9 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

That is absolutely great how you have changes your lifestyle and lost so much weight. Keep it up!

As far as your dizziness, it is very difficult to say. I don't know where the stent put in (that is was it in your heart, neck etc). If it was your heart, then I would say that it is unlikely that the stent itself is the issue. However, there are people that have blockage of the stent rapidly, but as long as your are compliant with your aspirin and plavix it is unlikely.

None the less, for dizziness a cardiac evalution is reasonable, as sometimes dizzy spells can be due to abnormal heart rhythms. This is irrespective of where the stent was placed. That can be done with a long-term cardiac monitor of which there are multiple different ones now. A cardiologist can help you with those. Also, an echocardiogram may be pertinent to make sure that your heart function is good. and an EKG to look at the electrical activity of the heart. If there are other concerns they could also due nuclear medicine studies to look at the heart to make sure it is functioning properly.

If the stent was placed in carotid artery (in your neck), then I would definitely recommend imaging of the blood vessels there to make sure that there isn't a blockage that is forming. This can be done with a CT-angiogram, MR-angiogram or carotid ultrasound, though the CT-angiogram results in the best quality.

Also, depending what "dizzy" means (i.e. spinning sensation, feeling of blacking our or unsteadiness) it could come from the inner ear as well, in which case you should see an ENT physician for an evaluation. If it is an inner ear issue, it can often be resolved with vestibular rehabilitation.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Kristoffer Nissinen, MD