What causes difficulty in breathing?

I have recently been diagnosed with MVP and have moderate to severe regurgitation. I have been feeling like my lungs are filled with water...or I can t take a deep breath...it s not unbearable, but it s uncomfortable . I am a teacher, but during the summer I am bar tending. I walk about 10 miles a night at a very fast paced bar, and I m not winded then. I feel as though I m in shape... But in this humidity I feel tight in the chest, or like I can t get a full deep breath. Is this normal?
Fri, 14 Nov 2014
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question on HCM.
In my opinion you are having worsening of heart disease only.
MVP with moderate mitral valve regurgitation can lead to pulmonary edema due to back pressure in lungs.
And this gives feeling of chest tightness and difficulty in taking breath. So I advice you to consult cardiologist first and get done repeat 2D Echo to know the status of valve potency.
If worsening than mitral valve replacement should be done.
Start diuretics to relive pulmonary edema.