What causes dark discoloration around the fingernails?

I have a darkened area to the side of my fingernail which has been visible for about a month. The skin around and under the nail is not discolored at all. I visited an Urgent care facility but there was no diagnosis other than I was asked if I wanted a round of antibiotics, although the physician there agreed that was unnecessary given that it appeared there was no infection. She suggested that I use tea tree oil which I applied yesterday evening. As of this morning the area in question has become somewhat painful.
Tue, 24 Oct 2017
hi there.
1. your concern may be paronychia.
2. its due to bacterial infection of nail folds, which starts as discoloration and will cause aching due to pus accumulation.
3. you require good antibiotic course.
4.for which consult a dermatologist near by you.
5. meanwhile start using TBACT oint twice daily on affected areas and don't pic the skin.
6. have crocin for pain relief.
this may help you.