What causes cramps in the spine?

I have tonsilitis at the moment, and I keep getting shooting, severe what can only be described as period cramps in the middle of my spine. It s really strange, painful and uncomfortable. It only started with the tonsilitis, but is it related and what is it?!
Fri, 6 Sep 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

If this shooting pain to your spine only began when your tonsils became inflamed and swollen then, it is possible that the shooting pains are as a result of painful swallowing actions that cause pain to radiate because of tonsillitis.

Drink lots and lots of WATER, stay away from caffeinated beverages, stay away from ICE COLD drinks or foods for now (don't know if that's just a wives' tale but I think it makes sense), and take your medication you've been prescribed and you should be making headway in just a few days.

You may get some benefit as well to some of your symptoms by trying a WARM COMPRESS over the neck in front or try in the back of the neck for 15-20 min. at a time and do that several times daily.

This will help direct your immune system's action toward the area of the pharynx where the infection/sweeling is located.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Dariush Saghafi, Neurologist