Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes constant pain in the upper abdomen after a gall bladder surgery?

i really hope i can get an answer here it goes i have had a gallbladder operation last year in October and an umbilical hernia then i ended up with diverticulitis a couple months ago that pain has never gone away so i went and got a upper and lower GI done and it was clear the pain is centered in the upper part of my belly and feels like a rock its a constant pain and it gets worse when i eat the other pain comes from both sides about 3 to 4 inches above my pelvic bone to the right and left then i get a stabbing feeling in both places as well as in between the nurses wanted me to consult a obgyn I m just trying to make the pain stop please help o yea after my operation i gained about 100lbs but its my stomach that is swollen all the time it looks like I m 9 months pregnant
Mon, 6 Oct 2014
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Gaining such kind of weight post surgery is not normal, and I would advise you for a thyroid function test for this. If positive, you have to get treated for it.

With a history of two surgeries in the past and also of diverticulitis, the pain what you are getting immediately after food could be due to some kind of sub acute obstruction which might be resulting due to possible adhesion in the abdomen post past surgeries. If I were your doctor, I would advise you to get yourself reviewed by your surgeon, who might suggest you for an ultrasound/CT scan of the abdomen to rule this out. This would also rule out any adnexal pathology in you and if found positive, you could go and consult a gynaecologist for an opinion and management. Till then you could go for some anti spasmodic drug whenever you get such pain.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I had gallbladder surgery almost 2 months ago and at first it relieved my pain but now its back. From my upper abdomen, wrapped around my left side...