• question-icon

What causes chest pain while breathing and shortness of breath?

After lying down briefly I began having trouble breathing as if my neck was too fat or swollen (hard to describe). I have a pain in my left shoulder blade, heaviness in my chest, pain in the left chest when I turn my head to the right and I just feel as if I cannot get a good breath. It also hurts when I take in a deep breath. I have had costochondritis in the past but this feels different. Do these symptoms sound like that as well?
Fri, 7 Nov 2014
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question on HCM.
In my opinion you should out cardiac cause first.
Chest tighness, left chest pain, left shoulder pain, breathing difficulty on lying down are seen in cardiac cause more specifically congestive heart failure.
So better to get done
1. ECG
2. 2D ECHO.
You may have decreased heart functions and due to this all symptoms are seen.
So better to consult cardiologist first and rule out heart disease.