What causes brown vaginal discharge and heavy vaginal bleeding?

Hi there. So about three weeks ago I experienced some brown discharge I guess you would call it spotting. This came 4 days before my expected period and lasted around 4-5 days. My period then never showed up. Just recently I started spotting again but it turned into a heavier bleeding (not as heavy as my period) and it is a dark brown colour with some red. This has been going on for over 5 days now. I have gone to see a doctor they tested for pregnancy (through urine) and STD s and everything came back negative. Not sure what to do now? Maybe blood work? Is there a possibility I could still be pregnant or What else could it be? I m very worried. I m also 19 years old.
Tue, 26 Jun 2018
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Irregular bleeding and spotting is most likely due to hormonal disturbance like hypothyroidism, hyperpropactinemia or due to lesions such as ovarian cyst or fibroids. I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper examination, ultrasound and get further treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.

Dr Deepti Verma