What causes breathing through mouth with stuffy nose?

Can wearing glasses cause breathing-through-nose problem because of the glasses resting on bridge of nose. I breathe through my mouth mostly now because my nose is always stuffed up. I m very tired - can t stay awake to drive any distance, headaches, because of breathing issues. I also have asthma - which never bothered me as much as this issue does. I may be grasping at straws - but something has caused this problem and I ve had it for 4 months or so - taken antibiotics - still the same issue.
Wed, 2 Jun 2021

This is for sure that specs do not cause any breathing problems as the specs rest on nasal bridge that is made of bone hence can not cause any compression of nasal airways. Since you are a known patient of asthma it is likely that the allergens that are causing you asthma are also causing nasal changes as nose and paranasal sinuses are part of respiratory system.

Sinus openings in the nose get blocked to cause headache. Proper evaluation of asthma with pulmonary function tests and X-ray of chest should be done. CT scan of nose and sinuses can help to find the exact cause of all your symptoms and b treated as per reports and clinical findings on nasal endoscopy.

A fair trial of medicines, nasal decongestant drops can help you and surgery may be needed in a few patients with anatomical changes like deviated nasal septum or so. Please consult an ENT Surgeon and go ahead with endoscopy, CT scan, investigations and thus proper management.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon