What causes breathing difficulty and pressure in the chest?

I've recently been having trouble with breathing. There are times throughout the day I feel tightness in my chest or back like if someone is sitting on me. Also when I lay down I feel like the same type of tightness in my throat and i feel discomfort when breathing on matter what position I lay in.

Mon, 11 Jun 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Chest tightness, chest pain, breathing difficulty etc are commonly seen with heart and lung diseases. So in my opinion, you should immediately consult doctor and get done :

1. Ecg, 2d echo and stress test to rule out heart diseases.
2. Chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) to rule out lung diseases. If all these are normal then no need to worry for heart and lung diseases. Sometimes undiagnosed stress and anxiety can also cause similar symptoms. So avoid stress and tension, be relax and calm. Don't worry, you will be alright with all these but first rule out heart and lung diseases.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.