What causes body pain?

Can you suggest what may cause much discomfort during the night with body aches that waken me every 2 hours. Aspirin doesn't ease things much or for long. I can feel fine going to bed and after 2 hours ache everywhere, particularly from the mid back down and behind my shoulder blades. My mattress is not the problem as this occurs anywhere I sleep. It is becoming difficult to get enough sleep to function well the next day.

Only occasionally (3x a week) I also ache on and off during the day. This has gone on for months but normal bloodwork doesn't seem to show anything wrong.
Thanks.
Mon, 1 Sep 2014