What causes blood in urine?

i just learned that i have bv and blood in my urine but no presense of other things to indicate i have uti. the doctor told me that the blood could be from bv. I can't remember the word she used, but I believe it started with an H. Could you explain to me how this works?
Fri, 21 Nov 2014
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Thanks for asking.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.
1. Blood in urine, could be due to kidney or outside kidney causes.
2. Get an urine examination to evaluate for hematuria (kidney cause) or hemoglobinuria (outside kidney cause). Also urine microscopy will rule out any UTI infection.
3. BV could be bacterial vaginosis, but it is limited to cervical infection, not related to hematuria. H maybe hematuria, not sure. Getting an urine examination, would be a start. More details necessary for further opinion.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.