Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
124 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes blood in urine?

I have had blood in my urine consistently for about three years. Each time such was confirmed (visually and via test at MD office), a CatScan was performed. A kidney stone (or multiple stones) were observed either in the kidney and/or causing a blockage in about 30% of the incidents. My question: Why would blood be in the urine the remaining 70%? MDs (urologists, Int. med) have indicated that identifying the source of such blood is important, however after being unable to determine a source, the MDs eventually indicate that perhaps blood in the urine with unknown source/cause is not such a bid deal and one should not be concerned that a source cannot/was not detected. Your thoughts?
Tue, 4 Jun 2019
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hello,

The kidney stones can be a cause for the blood in the urine. It's also a cause for the UTI, as the stone can be a focus of infection. So unless the stones are cleared or expelled, this may recur any time.

He should be drinking about 12-15 glasses fluids daily. He should also be taking stone dissolution drugs or undergo lithotripsy. If you've any doubts, send a direct question to me.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Regards,
Dr Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

what is the cause of blood stain in urine during pregnancy

Recent questions on  Renal stones

doctor1 MD

Hello! I am 19 years old. Recently, I ve been getting random numbness in the middle toes on both of my feet. I ve also suffered from kidney stones...

doctor1 MD

21 yo female white, history of kidney stones and ovarian cysts (no family history of either). No current cysts and blood work on liver and kidney...

doctor1 MD

Hello Friends,

I have pain at tip of penis while urinating from 2 weeks. I thought it might be due to body heat or something else and drank lots of...

doctor1 MD

I am 44 female with SLE. For the past 6 months or so I have been having black specks in my urine off and on. Sometimes there are several black...

doctor1 MD

I have a recurring pain in my stmach right side a few inches above my hip, What can it be??

doctor1 MD

I've had a pain in my mid back, more towards the left. It feels like a muscle and sometimes is a burning pain that radiates to my stomach. What...

doctor1 MD

My kidney stones do not bother me why would my doctor want me to get the shockwave procedure done .