What causes bleeding from nose?

I had fresh blood coming out from my left nose during my sleep. I woke up realizing it. This is the first time happening during sleep though it s not first time that blood come out from the same nostril. It has happened 3 to 4 times earlier over last few years. I have frequent allergies to house dusts and often sneezes with watery and itchy eyes. Can you please advice. Fazli from Malaysia
Wed, 26 May 2021
Dentist 's  Response

Nose bleeding or epistaxis can occur due to a number of causes but mostly nose bleeding is not due to any serious underlying cause and can be treated at home. Allergies can be a common cause of nose bleeding as irritation and inflammation inside the nostril can cause the superficial blood vessels to rupture easily leading to nose bleeds. Also there is a profound blood supply in the nose and bleeding can be easy to occur if there is slight trauma or irritation.

Other causes of nose bleeding can be picking nose too vigorously, sinus infection, cold causing sneezing, coughing etc, blowing nose with force, traumatic injury to nose, taking blood thinners, taking drugs by nose, too much use of nasal sprays, deviated nasal septum etc are a few common cause of nasal bleeding. If you experience an episode of nasal bleeding sit upright and bend your head slightly forwards. This will help in flowing of blood outside the nostrils and not towards the throat. Gently pinch the nostrils and hold for 5 minutes straight away before you check whether the bleeding has stopped or not.

After that only check whether bleeding has stopped or not. During this duration keep breathing through nose. Applying ice packs over the nose can also help in reducing bleeding. If bleeding does not stop in 5 minutes you can pinch the nose of another 10 minutes. In case of too frequent episodes of bleeding or if the bleeding does not stop with these ways you should immediately consult a physician.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist