• question-icon

What causes blackouts with fatigue and lack of appetite?

Hi, About 6 months ago my daughter (16 yrs old) suddenly passed out in school. She was walking down the hall talking to her friends when they noticed that her words were no longer making sense and then just dropped to the floor. It was a brief 30 - 60 sec before she came around and was able to sit up against the wall. After about 20 minutes she began getting some color back. She presented with very clammy skin, extremely pale skin including her lips, confusion and extreme dizziness. The rest of the day she felt very fatigued, lack of appetite, mild headache.... her blood sugar was checked about 30 minutes into the incident and was within normal range, she was checked for anemia, normal range, blood pressure on scene was extremely low 60/40, but returned to normal within 45 minutes of initial incident. we never got any answers, this exact incident has happened about 12 more times since and no one knows what is going on. I do not understand. Do you have any suggestions? All incidents have happened on normal days, with sudden onsets and very little symptoms prior to blacking out.
Mon, 24 Dec 2018

The symptoms of blackouts are associated with hypotension or hypoglycaemia. This can be related to dehydration, electrolyte imbalance or disturbances of cardiac rhythm. Detailed evaluation is needed to find the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN