What causes black spot on lower lip?

Hi, I have spot a dark black spot on my lower lip and it has been since 4 years ago but recently got bigger. Any idea or suggestion to that. I am really concerned about could possibly a skin cancer not sure I need other opinion if you please. Thank you.
Tue, 6 Oct 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

Welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you have black spot on lower lip which is increasing in size is mainly due to Peutz-Jegher's syndrome, Fixed Drug Eruption and if could be be due chronic lip biting. As it is getting changed in size there are possible chances it could be malignant. I would suggest you to visit oral pathologist once and get it examined. Go for biopsy for lesion and cell cytology as well to find possible diagnosis and start treatment accordingly. Applying lemon juice on lips, avoid exposure to sun light and if ever you have to go apply tan-care. Drink aloe vera juice. Avoid nicotine containing products. Drink plenty of water. Avoid tea, coffee type products which contain caffeine. Visit dermatologist as well once.

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Get Well Soon.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari