What causes black shadows in an abdominal ultrasound test?

My 88 year old father had an ultrasound for stomach complaints. The operator twice ran into a black shadow that blocked her view. He is convinced it is cancer and attempted suicide and is now in hospital. What causes these black shadows on ultra sound?
Wed, 14 Sep 2016
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I understand your concern.
Appearance of black shadows by means of ultrasound indicates some space occupying lesion in the form of growth or cyst, and could be due to cancer.
However, ultrasound scan is not a true diagnostic modality and cannot be confirmed as to what it could be.
It needs to be further investigated by means of CT scan and upper GI endoscopy to find out what it could be.
Kindly consult Medical Oncologist for further evaluation and appropriate management.
Hope the information provided would be helpful.
All the best.