What causes an underactive thyroid?

I am a Black 55 year old female who does not have a primary care physician and have not seen a doctor since 2007. What type of physician or specialist should i go to, so that i can get the screenings needed for someone my age, and what type of screenings should i get, by the way i was diagnosed with an under active thyroid but have not had medication for over 4-5 years and have tried to replace with food. Need Help.
Thu, 16 Jul 2015
Hello. Thanks for asking Healthcare Magic. You have an under active thyroid, which means you have hypothyroidism. Thyroid hormones are very important for normal functioning of the body. I would suggest you to visit an endocrinologist, if possible for your condition and get a thyroid profile done. He can also suggest you which other screening tests to do. Please take this issue seriously and start your thyroid medication as soon as possible. Thanks and regards.